Cobb County has seen a lot of growth in the past five years and with growth comes more traffic. And, sadly with more traffic, comes the chance of accidents.
Recent data, according to the Governor's Office of Highway Safety, shows that in 2014 there were 26,921 total crashes, with 8,642 injuries and 49 deaths. Among the factors for fatality crashes were truck accidents.
From 2011 to 2015, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration discovered that 20 fatal deaths in Cobb County resulted from large truck crashes.
Here are some facts you need to know about truck accidents:
- Every 16 minutes in the U.S. a person is injured or killed in a tractor trailer accident.
- Approximately 3,700 people that are passengers in vehicles are killed each year in collisions with tractor trailers.
There are a ton of commercial trucks that travel through Atlanta annually - 150 million tons to be exact. And, that number is growing.
As population and jobs continue to grow in places like Cobb County, the Atlanta Regional Commission predicts a 76 percent increase in the amount freight travel around the region by 2040.
So, what can you do to protect yourself from a truck accident:
- Drive with caution around trucks on the road. Remember they cannot stop on a dime so don't pull in front of one and assume they can safely stop in time.
- Stay visible to the truck driver. If you can't see the driver's mirrors, chances are he can't see you.
- Pay attention to the trucks turn signals and don't travel for long periods of time next to tractor trailer.
If you've been injured in a truck accident in Cobb County, fill out our free case evaluation.