Last Thursday, a tractor trailer struck a car going south on I-475 near Thomaston Rd around 9 p.m., causing the driver to lose control and veer off the highway into the nearby woods. The driver of the truck fled the scene and anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Bibb County Sheriff's Office at 478-751-7500, or Macon Regional CrimeStoppers at 1-877-68-CRIME.
The driver, 22-year-old Casey Daniely, and a passenger, 33-year-old Daryl Burroughs were taken by ambulance for treatment at Navicent Health for injuries. A second passenger, 25-year-old Aarion Palmer, declined treatment but was transported to the hospital via a personal vehicle. Daniely was listed as being in critical but stable condition.
The tractor trailer was described as having a red cab and a white trailer.
What to Do If You Are Hit by a Truck
- Make sure the scene is safe and call emergency services right away.
- Get the truck driver's name and contact information as well as the name and contact information for the trucking company. If any other drivers were involved in the accident, you need to exchange names and insurance information with them as well.
- Collect as much evidence as you can at the scene. Use your phone to take pictures of the scene and any visible injuries. Write down names and phone numbers of any witnesses to the accident.
- Don't say anything admitting fault for the accident to the truck driver, investigating officer or anyone else at the scene. Stick to the facts of what happened. Take note if the trucker -- or any other driver -- says something admitting fault, such as "I was reaching for something" or "I just wasn't paying attention."
- See a doctor right away. Even if you feel fine, you might have internal injuries that take hours or days to become apparent
Lastly, call Gary Martin Hays & Associates right away at 770-934-8000. The trucking company will start their investigation immediately and you need someone in your corner to protect your legal rights and build a strong case.