An Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer Explains
Car accidents in parking lots and parking garages can happen quickly and unexpectedly. But those few seconds can lead to months, years, or even a lifetime of consequences for the crash victims.
The National Safety Council (NSC) reports tens of thousands of crashes, hundreds of deaths, and thousands of injuries happen annually in parking lots across the country.
That's because inattentive drivers in parking lots ignore basic safety, according to a nationwide NSC poll.
Maybe it’s because they are driving more slowly. Maybe it’s because they have too much confidence in their ability to multitask. Maybe it’s because they simply do not care.
The fact is, the risk of a crash involving another motorist or a pedestrian is magnified during the holidays when parking lots are more crowded with vehicles and pedestrians.
Examples of admitted dangerous behavior among drivers in parking lots include:
- 66% make phone calls.
- 63% program GPS systems.
- 56% send and read texts.
- 52% access social media.
- 50% send or read emails.
- 49% take photos or watch videos.
Parking Lot Safety Tips
Common sense is your best defense against causing a parking lot accident. As a driver, it's your duty to look out for other motorists, cyclists, and people walking.
You should also:
- Stay in marked lanes and walkways, just as you would on a public road.
- Obey all signs and signals.
- Never cut through a parking lot or drive across parking spaces.
- Use turn signals.
- Never assume a pedestrian in a parking lot can see you. Always make direct eye contact and give pedestrians the right of way.
- Use extra care when backing out of a parking space, being sure to check for people walking.
- Be aware of small children and parents with baby strollers.
- Do not rely solely on technology, such as a backup camera. Always look over your shoulder and check your mirrors. It’s also vital to recognize that automotive safety technology may not recognize motorcycles, smaller objects, or people.
- Watch out for roadway hazards. Parking lots are notorious for poor pavement striping, potholes, cracks, debris, puddles, and snow that can lead to accidents.
- Drive and park in well-lit areas.
Injured in a Parking Lot Accident? An Attorney Can Protect Your Rights
There are many different ways to become injured in a parking lot. If you were involved in a parking lot car accident or hit by a car while walking in a parking lot, you have the right to seek compensation for your damages.
Likewise, if you were injured in a parking lot slip and fall due to hazardous conditions on the premises (e.g., snow, ice, uneven pavement, loose gravel, etc.), you have recourse through the civil justice system.
The key is to talk to a lawyer as soon as possible to get a clear understanding of your legal rights and options.
At The Law Offices of Gary Martin Hays & Associates, our attorneys have the knowledge, experience, and resources to handle every aspect of your claim and aggressively advocate for your best interests. Our legal team knows how to investigate accidents, identify all potential sources of compensation, and build rock-solid cases based on fact.
Since 1993, we've helped families in the Atlanta area and throughout Georgia recover more than $1 billion. Find out how our law firm can help you. There are no obligations, and we offer our clients a Zero Fee Guarantee.
Contact us today for a free consultation with an experienced Atlanta car accident attorney.