What to Do After a Car Accident
Your injury calls for strong legal representation
If you have been injured in a car accident, you do not have to accept delays in the insurance company’s response. Tell them you mean business. Contact our aggressive attorneys today. Call 1-800-898-HAYS.
Print these guidelines and keep them in your vehicle. Call us before making a statement to the insurance company or signing any settlement form.
At the Accident Site
- Determine the extent of any injuries.
- Call 911 to report the accident.
- Exchange information with every driver involved in the accident (including insurance, driver’s license numbers, phone numbers, and addresses).
- If a commercial vehicle was involved, document the registration numbers on the trailer and cab. Also, find out who owns the vehicle.
- Get contact information from any witnesses.
- If you have a camera with you or a cell phone camera, take photographs to document the accident site, weather and road conditions, and the extent of damage. You may be able to take video with some cameras and cell phones.
- Ask the responding officer where you can get a copy of the official accident report.
After the Accident
- If you are injured, see a doctor immediately.
- Have a doctor evaluate any injury.
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident and give them the contact information for other drivers. Important: Do not make any statement to an insurance company representative until you have talked to your lawyer.
- Get a copy of the accident report.