Alcohol related crashes are a concern for DeKalb County residents. It's the second leading cause of fatalities, according to data released by the Governor's Office of Highway Safety.
Here's a sobering statistic: every two minutes a person is injured in a drunk driving accident.
If someone calls my office because they were injured by a drunk driver, we pursue two things- compensation and punishment.
Compensation would include:
- payment for medical bills
- and lost wages
- and money for pain and suffering.
And the punishment we seek is in the form of punitive damages. These are damages designed to PUNISH a driver for their bad conduct and to DETER them from repeating it.
When we investigate the cases, we ask:
- Was the drunk driver operating their own vehicle or someone else's?
- Was the drunk driver known to be habitually reckless and dangerous because of past DUI's or dangerous driving behaviors?
- Where did the driver consume the alcohol? A bar, restaurant or individual that served the alcohol could also be liable.
If you've been injured in a drunk driving accident in DeKalb County, fill out our free case evaluation.
Injured by a drunk driver? How to seek punitive damages after a drunk driving accident: