The first moments after a wreck or painful injury are often frantic and confusing. Your immediate priority is to get medical help. Once you have received the care you need and the situation has calmed, you may be left wondering where on earth to go from here.
Maybe someone recommended hiring a personal injury attorney, or you saw an ad on television for a big Georgia law firm. You may suddenly start noticing all the legal billboards on the interstate or encounter digital ads for attorneys as you browse the internet. There are many options out there when it comes to personal injury lawyers.
Here are some quick tips for what to look for in a Georgia personal injury lawyer before you decide to hire them:
- Are they local? When researching a personal injury law firm, check to see if they are primarily located in Georgia. A local law firm has far more experience dealing with the state laws that will affect your case. Our team of attorneys live and work in Georgia, so they have a stake in making sure their communities and fellow Georgians are taken care of.
- Do they specialize in personal injury law? You don’t want just any law firm. You need an experienced legal team that focuses almost exclusively on personal injury law. Personal injury claims can range from car accidents and pedestrian deaths to nursing home abuse and harmful products. Avoid firms that practice additional legal categories unrelated to injuries (such as divorce, bankruptcy, or immigration). Casting such a wide net means the attorneys have less experience handling personal injury cases because they’ve spread themselves so thin.
- Is the firm reputable? A quick Google search can show you the news and reviews related to a personal injury law firm. Mostly positive reviews are a good bet that the firm treats its clients right. You can check out what our clients are saying about our firm here.
- Do they offer a free consultation? Nearly every personal injury lawyer offers a free, confidential consultation (including us). Avoid law firms that don’t offer this service.
- Do you get to meet with the lead attorney? Many attorneys you see on TV or billboards or hear on the radio do not even live in Georgia. Some are not even licensed to practice law here. You deserve to meet with the person leading the law firm and overseeing your case.
- Do they work on a contingency basis? Most personal injury firms work on a contingency-fee-basis. What this means is that the law firm doesn’t get any money unless they successfully negotiate a settlement or win a trial before a jury. Once a settlement is reached or awarded, the law firm earns a percentage. The rest goes to the client. Gary Martin Hays & Associates operates on contingency fees and offers our Zero Fee Guarantee to our clients.
Make a Phone Call
Talking on the phone may not be most people’s favorite pastime, but when it comes to law firms, a phone call is the quickest way to get in contact with a personal injury lawyer and open up a case.
Most law firms jump at phone calls. In Georgia, lawyers aren’t allowed to contact potential clients. They have to wait for prospective clients to call their firm. So the quicker they answer the phone, the quicker they can evaluate a personal injury claim and offer a contract.
Fill Out an Online Evaluation
If you’re busy or it’s night, you can request a free consultation via an online form. By contacting the law firm, they now have permission to follow up with you and ask questions about your injury. Should you have questions, we have posted our personal injury consultation form at the bottom of this page.
Chat With an Online Representative
Most lawyers have chat pop-ups on their websites. Click on the pop-up or bubble to start a conversation about your case and any concerns you may have. This is especially useful for anyone suffering from an injury or disability that affects their speech or hearing.
Make It Official
Once you’ve contacted a personal injury lawyer and they’ve agreed to represent your claim, it’s time to make a decision. To officially hire a law firm, you’ll need to read and sign the contract they provide. After the contract is signed and submitted, they can get to work for you.
Who Not to Hire
Earlier, we mentioned that Georgia personal injury lawyers aren’t allowed to call potential clients unless they contact a law firm first. Doing so is illegal in Georgia and considered unethical.
However, that doesn’t stop some law firms from doing it anyway. They use “runners” (typically individuals who work in hospitals, chiropractor officers, or police stations) to slip them information about accident victims. Then the law firm cold calls them saying that they can represent their personal injury case.
Do. Not. Hire them. If the insurance company finds out the law firm contacted you first, it could severely damage your claim and any potential compensation.
Hiring a personal injury lawyer is your choice, and no one should make it for you.
Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyers You Can Trust
Hiring a personal injury attorney can be simple, but it’s up to you to make the call. A good personal injury lawyer can protect your rights and help get you all the medical treatment you need.
We know what you’re going through has probably left you feeling stressed, overwhelmed, and lost. You’ve never needed a lawyer before, and you don’t know what to do. On top of that, the insurance company may be pressuring you to give a statement or accept a small settlement check.
Our team of Atlanta personal injury attorneys at Gary Martin Hays & Associates understand your loss and your pain, and we’re here to set things right. You deserve full compensation for the damages and suffering you have endured.
Contact us now for a free and completely confidential consultation. You can call us at (770) 934-8000 or fill out the form on this page, and we’ll be in touch. It’s that easy!