We see so many clients who have suffered from some form of back injury due to car accidents. The force of a car accident can cause serious back issues – some often being permanent. Here are important facts to understand about back injuries:
- The spinal cord does not have to be severed in order for a loss of function to occur.
- The spinal cord can be bruised, stretched or crushed.
Back injuries to the spinal cord are often caused by these three things in car accidents:
Occurs during high-impact collisions
- For example a tractor trailer is unable to stop and hits you from behind. The rear impact can result in compression or pressure on the spinal column. This causes a build-up of blood and inflammation around the spinal column, limiting motor function, sensory perception, and limb movement for the long-term.
Caused by side and rear-impact accidents
- It is the result of the spinal column twisting in opposite directions. Torsion can fracture or break the vertebrae in the back, causing spinal cord trauma. This type of spinal cord injury can cause major long-term effected and life-changing consequences.
Caused by severe accidents, such as collisions with a tractor trailer
- Dislocation can result in major life changes or death. Dislocation or severing of the spinal cord can impede delivery of the brains messages to various parts of the body. Often, these severe injuries result in paralysis that can leave a victim unable to function independently
If you’ve sustained a back injury due to a car accident, fill out our free case evaluation.